Honestly, I think there is something wrong with a person if they don't like animals. It's weird! I mean...I understand if you hate sharks because you were attacked by Jabberjaw and are now scarred for life (heh literally), but what's wrong with an adorable kitten? Nothing! That's what!
I always smile when I see a homeless person with a pet. Why? Because they have so little and yet they're willing to sacrifice their time, limited resources, and convenience to help an animal. Unfortunately though, many people aren't willing to make the necessary sacrifices in order to have a pet, for whatever reason. Well, that's there loss because not only is it just plain awesome to have a pet, but they also do so much for us:
Studies have shown that having a pet...
- ...decreases your blood pressure
- ...decreases your triglyceride levels
- ...decreases your risk for heart attack and stroke
- ...decreases your cholesterol levels
- ...decreases feelings of loneliness
- ...increases your opportunities for exercise and outdoor activities
- ...increases your opportunities for socialization (and no they don't mean socialization with your dog Rambo)
- ...increase empathy in children
- ...decrease hyperactivity and increase attention in children
Obviously pets make such a difference in the lives of their owners, which is why it's truly a tragedy whenever a pet goes up to Kitty or Doggy Heaven. There is a saying that: "Pets leave footprints on our hearts," and I couldn't agree more with this. When you've had a pet, especially since childhood, they help to make you who you are, and become forever intertwined in their owner's life.
So remember Rachel, even though Pretzels is gone, he changed your life for the better and will always remain a part of you, both in your heart and in your memories.