Friday, March 4, 2011

Fun Facts Friday: It's Cat-tastic!!

Nananananana CRAZY CAT WOMAN!!!!


So I've noticed that many-a follower/reader either has a cat or just plain digs them, so I've decided to post some fun facts all about cats wooo hooo! (Did I ever mention that I used to watch Animal Planet growing up...and that I used to take notes on it? Yes I am the epitome of nerddom.)


1.) There are 33 muscles in a cat's ear alone and can rotate each ear (independently) up to 180 degrees. They can also turn in the direction of a sound 10 times faster than even the best Fido.


2.) Cats can hear better than dogs and humans! Their hearing stops at 65 khz and humans' hearing stops at 20 khz.


3.) Cats purr at the same frequency as an idling diesel engine (26 cycles per second) !!!!


4.) Studies have shown that if a cat falls from the 7th floor of a building it is 30% less likely to survive than if it falls off the 20th floor. Apparently, it takes the cat 8 floors to process what is happening and then relax for impact.


5.) Hebrew folklore believes that cats came about because Noah was afraid that rats might eat all the food on the ark. He prayed to God for help. God responded by making the lion sneeze a giant sneeze -- and out came a little cat!


6.) Both large cats (lions and tigers) and domestic cats react to cat nip...of course there are some cats that just don't dig it.


7.) A falling cat will always right itself in a precise order. First the head will rotate, then the spine will twist and the rear legs will align, then the cat will arch its back to lessen the impact of the landing.


8.) Cats aren't nocturnal they're crepuscular which means they're more active at dawn and dusk...like a shark!


9.) A group of kittens is called a KINDLE!!!


10.) In ancient Egypt, entire families would shave their eyebrows as a sign of mourning when the family cat died


Now wasn't that just the cat's meow hehe



Keep Reading
-RRR

12 comments:

  1. 5) wow, such a cool story! i've never heard that before!
    6) pretzels would go CRAZY for catnip!! it was so so cute. and scarlet (the other cat) doesn't even react to it. =/
    also, that's so funny that lions like it too. now i have an icebreaker for whenever i meet a lion!
    9) kindle! it's just like that book thingy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nifty huh? Both my cats like cat nip but Choop is like a really chill stoner and Sweetie is one of those kids who gets all hyper and annoying (their older brother Sassy acted like it was meth...he went c-taxi! First time I bought it was for Xmas for them and it was all wrapped and such but while we were eating he used his teeth and claws and ripped it open and went nuts)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that, so many fun facts! Although I have to say, I hope they didn't learn about #4 by the most obvious experiment...

    Thrilled to have found your blog! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post!!! I love cats so much. And I love Animal Planet!!! I used to watch TV shows like that or go outside and collect dirt, etc. ^_^ Being nerdy is awesome!

    Number 5 is some cute folklore, especially because it involves a lion. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure I was WAY too excited about this post! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a crazy amount of muscles in a cats ear, I mean they are so small who would have thought? cute blog you have here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome cat facts!! I didn't know that about the eyebrow shaving in Egypt, interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved Number 4! Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you all liked it! Aren't facts fun?!

    @Beanditch...is there such a thing as "too excited" when it comes to cats and facts? I think not!

    @ Alycia: Have you ever seen a Scottish Fold (a cat breed)? Now those are some cute ears *meow*

    ReplyDelete
  10. 4) that explains why my cat always falls on his face when I push him off the kitchen table

    ReplyDelete
  11. O dear gussy!!!
    That's horrible but hilarious at the same time
    The other day I was trying to put my cat Choop in front of a plate of his food (he has issues with self-consciousness and eating food) but I grabbed him wrong and he flipped over and got caught in a cord and wound up un the dish of food upside down and rolling around

    ReplyDelete
  12. #s 4, 9, and 10 are super interesting. Thanks for teaching me!

    ReplyDelete