Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas is over...time for New Year's Resolutions!

Americans don't like to linger; we are constantly moving forward, for the better or worse I'm not sure, but the fact of the matter is that Americans live in a fast-paced society. The second Halloween is over we break out the Thanksgiving decorations; the second Thanksgiving is over up go the Christmas decorations. Well now that Christmas is over and people are realizing the depth of their overindulgence or  perhaps pondering on what they want to do differently, out come the pens and paper to start New Year's resolutions (NYRs)

I for one am a huge fan of NYRs...I like the feeling of hope and optimism that always seems to accompany a brand new year and a list full of resolutions. As the New Year approaches and I think about all the things I want to change and the ways in which I want to improve myself I can't help but wonder how many of those NYRs will last. As I trolled the internet for studies and facts to help me on my journey to a good and realistic NYR list I stumbled across this article from Psychology Today: NYR Success. It was fairly enlightening. But then I saw this article: Don't Make NYRs about how making NYRs is bad for your health: they add pressure and stress and they aren't conducive to long-term change. I have to agree with the author's argument. Just as strict dieting eventually leads to overeating making NYRs eventually leads to breaking NYRs. 

But even though I agree whole-heartedly with the author I can't help myself; I need to make that list and check it twice, punish myself for being naughty not nice....I'm a perfectionist in every sense of the word. So despite the inefficacy of resolutions, I shall make them again this year, and probably every year and I will try valiantly to keep all of them until I inevitably crash and burn and eat that pint of Ben&Jerry's...my inevitable failure will not deter me! I will relish the challenge. 


That's all for now folks!
Keep reading and commenting!
-RRR

No comments:

Post a Comment